Frequently Asked Questions
What about private parties and teambuilding?
We welcome all groups for private event parties and teambuilding. Here are the details:
- Events may be held any evening if there is no class previously scheduled or if that class does not yet have any registrants.
- Daytime parties also may be scheduled.
- Your private party may include social time at the studio before painting begins. We will work with you to select a painting that fits your overall timeframe.
- You may bring any food and drink you would like, as well as utensils, plates, and paper goods. We only provide the painting supplies.
- The $35 per person cost applies, with a minimum of 10 people (or $350). Additional studio time and cleanup is included. The maximum is 20 seats. (Many groups with fewer than 10 people have booked seats at a regular class.)
- The minimum cost is due when the reservation is made, and the final head count and balance (if applicable) are due one week prior to the event.
- Call Summer at 205-514-5392 to make arrangements.
What about children's parties?
We welcome children's parties! Here are the details:
- Parties may be held on weekend afternoons or after school.
- Each birthday is scheduled for two hours, which includes approximately one hour of painting followed by eating and present-opening.
- You may bring cake and any food and drink you would like, as well as utensils, plates, and paper goods. We provide all painting supplies, including aprons.
- We provide a 11” x 14” canvas for each artist. You may choose any of our children's subjects (all children paint the same subject).
- A minimum of two responsible adults is required to be present, or more according to the following formula: for age 5, one for every 5 children; for age 10, one for every 10 children, and so on.
- The cost is $20 per child (or adult painter), with a ten-person minimum. There is also a flat $50 fee for the studio time and cleanup required for the additional party hour. The maximum is 20 seats.
- Parents or adults may participate. There is no charge for adults who do not paint.
- The minimum cost is due when the reservation is made (we book the party over the phone), and the balance (if applicable) is due at the event itself. (We'll talk a few days before the party to determine a tentative final headcount for the table set-up.)
- Call Summer at 205-514-5392 to make arrangements.
Can I paint something other than what everyone else is painting?
Please register for a painting that you actually want to paint, and be sure anyone you're inviting understands how our studio operates. When someone "opts out" and paints something completely different than the rest of us, it becomes a distraction and ruins the experience for everyone else. However, everyone is encouraged to be as original as you like...different colors, different composition, different design elements...whatever you want to do to express your own originality, as long as we're working together in the same sequence.
Can two people (like a couple) paint one painting? Why would we want two of the same thing?
- We can't accommodate two people painting the same canvas as it takes a seat away from another customer.
- We do all paint the same subject because it’s a step-by-step process where everyone paints along with us. However, you can change composition and color to personalize your art however you like. (You can see from the photos we post on the Facebook fan page how much variation we have.)
- Many couples come paint together, and they often either changed their colors so that the paintings could complement each other hanging together (the flowers particularly); one of the two is painted as a gift; or, more typically, one painting goes to one person’s office and the other hangs in the home.
- We're about individual expression, not just producing paintings. The couples who have painted together have a great time learning more about each other, and they end up enjoying the experience of painting their own paintings as much as having the finished products. We've had to nudge a few in that direction, and they’ve all been glad we did.
What about groups?
Reservations may be made by one individual for as many seats as are remaining in any event, but payment is made for all seats at that time. You also can request a private party (see that question, below)
Are there age requirements?
Adult classes: Just as classroom activities and teaching styles are tailored to be age-appropriate, our paintings are designed to be fun projects for individuals ages 18 and up, and the after-hours atmosphere of our evening classes is most appropriate for participants at least of that age. Teens who are 16 or 17 may paint in an adult class but must be accompanied by a registered adult who is also registered to paint. (You must be at least 21 years of age to bring or consume alcoholic beverages.) Please click here to read more about our policies regarding teens.
Kids' classes: These are open to all ages, adults included, and while every minor must be accompanied at all times by a responsible adult, the adult is not required to be registered to paint in our kids' classes.
At what time should I arrive for my event?
Please arrive within 10 minutes of the scheduled start time. Be sure not to arrive late! If you haven't pre-registered, please arrive 20 minutes early, and be sure to call (205) 514-5392 before you arrive to check on seat availability.
How can I cancel/change a class if I am within your cancellation policy?
1) Sign into your on-line account and click on “My Classes”
2) Find the class you are canceling and click "Change”
3) Click on the box in front of the registered name.
4) Click on the appropriated choice
When you finish, your account will show an account credit. Refunds are given only as class credit. For your next purchase, the shopping cart will NOT automatically apply the credit and deduct the cost of your purchase from your account credit before it charges your credit card. YOU MUST CLICK ON THE BUTTON IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PAGE “APPLY ACCOUNT CREDIT”.
Can I register by phone?
You are welcome to check for availability by calling us at 205-514-5392, but reservations may only be made online. (You also may call us to register, but we will go through the same online process to register you.) You also may come in 30 minutes before any event to take an available seat, but you risk encountering a full, canceled, or changed class if you don't call first. The number of available seats for any event is always updated in real-time as participants register for it.
How do I sign up for an event?
Go to our calendar page and click on the image of the painting you would like to paint, on the date and at the time you want to paint it. You will be taken to an online shopping cart where you will complete your reservation. (If it's your first time to our site, you will need to set up an account with a password like on other Web sites.)
Note that the calendar will show how many seats are available for that event...if there are no seats available, there will be an option to sign up for the Waiting List for that event, and you will be notified by email if seats become available so you can come back and sign up for it. The number of seats available for an event is always fluctuating as people sign up, and the calendar is updated in real-time. (If you register for a Waiting List, your credit card is not charged...that only happens if you come back and sign up after we've notified you of availability.)
What happens at a class?
Everyone arrives and finds a seat at his or her own easel. (You may choose to first don a smock or apron.) You'll receive your brushes, canvas, and paint palette. Then the lead artist will take you step-by-step through every stroke...and you leave with your own painting!
I went back to your calendar and the paintings changed! Why?
Our calendar is a "living" document that may be changed at any time for a variety of reasons. One thing is certain...as soon as anyone signs up for a painting, it is "locked in" and will not change. So don't worry that you will be signing up for a painting and have it changed after you've signed up. So if you like a painting...sign up for it! There are a few reasons we might change a painting on a night no one has signed up:
- It doesn't appear we will be having any registrations for that painting
- Someone asked us to change the painting, and no one had signed up yet for that night
- No one had signed up for that night and we had an opportunity to hold a private event or make other plans
Do you have a minimum number of people required to hold a class?
Three people is our minimum. If only one or two people have signed up for a night's painting, we will call him or her by 2:00 p.m. to reschedule. The best way to ensure a class will be held is to sign up for it; if you plan to "walk in," you may find that the class has been canceled or changed, either because of a lack of registrants or because another opportunity arose. Remember, as soon as someone signs up for a painting, it is "locked in" on our calendar. (There's one sure way to be sure your painting won't be canceled...get friends to sign up too!)
Why are your gift certificate amounts more than your event costs?
The predetermined amounts include the sales tax your recipients would have to pay if you only covered the cost of a class. (Sales tax is not added to your own total for a gift certificate purchase.) If you prefer not to use one of our specified amounts, you may type in one of your own for any amount from $10 to $2,000.
Why am I charged sales tax?
The State of Florida requires that a business collects sales tax for services that utilize that business's resources or result in a customer taking away a product. For this reason, we are required to charge sales tax on the entire cost of an event, not just the materials used.
What size is the canvas?
For evening adult classes, we always use 16” x 20” stretched canvases, never canvas boards. You may choose to paint the sides and hang it without purchasing a frame, or leave the sides unpainted and frame it. (Kids' paintings and some daytime adult paintings—always noted in the class description—are on 11" x 14" stretched canvases.)
Do you offer gift certificates?
Yes! Gift Certificates to Yes You Canvas! are exceptionally unique and thoughtful gifts for any occasion. You may purchase them online and print them out with a unique code your recipient types in when making a reservation. You can buy them for a single $35 class or any other dollar amount. They never expire!
Is my information safe?
Completely. Online payment is secure, fast, easy and will guarantee that your registration is processed immediately. We use state-of-the-art 128-bit SSL encryption so you can have a worry-free transaction. Your personal and payment information is completely safe and housed on secure servers maintained by The PayPal Pro merchant services division, one of the leading worldwide providers of online payment transactions. In addition, your reservation is processed through RezClick, a Florida-based company that manages reservation systems for more than 300 schools across America. Furthermore, we will not offer your information to any third parties; we will only use your email address to send you reminders, promotions, and news about Yes You Canvas!
What payment forms do you accept?
Our online system allows us to accept Visa, Master Card, American Express and Discover. Remember that in addition to credit cards, you can use any debit card that functions as a credit card when you make purchases online.
Why do I have to pay when I reserve my seat?
The process of registering for a Yes You Canvas! event is like buying theater or sporting event tickets online: you decide when you want to go, select the date, and pay for the tickets online at that time. But with Yes You Canvas! registration, you have until a week before your event to change or cancel your reservation with no penalty, unlike other event tickets that you can’t change after you make your purchase.
Why do I have to create an account?
Your account allows us to keep track of your reservations so we know when you’re coming. It also helps us keep you informed with reminders about your reservation, special promotions, and new calendar postings.
Can we bring wine?
You can bring any beverage or food you like! In fact, wine is a popular part of the “painting event” culture…we don’t serve, but we provide cups and openers. Of course, you have to be 21 to consume any alcoholic beverage on our premises (or any other!).
What if I'm already pretty good with a brush?
Some people come to 'painting events' just because of the easy access to canvas and supplies. You are welcome to go off in any creative direction you like…change colors, or composition…it's your painting!
What if I can't paint? What if I'm not artistic?
Painting is a series of decisions you make with paint and a brush. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way for your painting to turn out. The lead artist will guide the group through basic strokes, knowing that most of you are new to the experience of painting on canvas. There are some common mistakes people make that we will be careful to be sure you avoid. The key is being 'loose' and not focusing on too much detail. In fact, the freer your attitude, the more 'detail' people will see in your art!