Yes You Canvas! Jacksonville
9965 San Jose Boulevard, Suite 30, Jacksonville, FL 32257
Online Reservation Software
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you host field trips or other private kids' groups?
Yes we do, and these classes are tremendously successful! The cost is $20 per artist, and the process for registering is the same as for a birthday (see that question). As there is no food brought into a "private class" and no additional time is required following the completion of the painting, there is no $50 studio fee as there is with a birthday, making the minimum due at booking $200 rather than $250. Otherwise the scheduling process is exactly the same.
Can my friend/husband/boyfriend come and just watch? Or show up near the end and hang out till we're through?
Everyone who comes to an adult class while the class is in progress must be registered to paint. Remember that the degree of distraction a "visitor" presents to the facilitator/instructor and the participants can not be determined or presumed by that individual or a friend or family member who is painting in the class. This applies to any adult class, even private ones. Please do not plan for visitors or "watchers" and do not be offended when they are asked to leave.
Can I paint something other than what everyone else is painting?
You're welcome to embellish your painting, and often our paintings allow you choose different colors. But please know that the night we're painting a boat, we're all painting a boat. Facilitating a group experience requires not only that everyone paint the same subject together but that everyone gets into the spirit of the shared pace and progress of the painting. Please also be sure that anyone you may be inviting who is unfamiliar with what we do is aware of this as well. It has nothing to do with your ability to feel like you're expressing yourself artistically or creating an original work of art. But anyone who wants to come "do their own thing" is looking for a different experience than what we offer.
Do you do off-site parties?
We do offsite events for large groups and are pleased to provide a proposal. (Contact David at  993-9047). Most of these are business or convention groups that prefer paying a premium to having their members leave their primary venue. We also do onsite field trips, but these are also for large groups, and there usually is a sponsor who handles the additional cost. We do not do in-home children's birthday parties.
Can I just "walk in"?
We must know before each class who is coming to it. We set up the studio to accommodate the number who have registered and rarely have extra seats available. Remember that if you are uncertain about your plans that you may register, even on your phone, as late as an hour before a class begins.
Simply because a class says "10 seats available" doesn't mean that if you're one of the first ten to show up there will be a seat for you. That number refers to the number of seats available for registration. In fact, you may see that number decline to one or fewer in the half-hour or so before the class begins because set-up has been completed.
If you absolutely do not want to register online, you must call David at (904) 993-9047 by that morning to request a "walk in" seat. At his discretion up to two such seats may be allowed. However, you will be required to call back one hour before the class begins to confirm that you will in fact be coming, and you must pay in cash with exact change (including tax).
You also can make arrangements with David to come to the studio on a date before a scheduled class to register onsite. Remember that the credit card processing is the same as if you do it yourself, so if you prefer to bring cash it must be exact change including tax.
I went back to your calendar and the paintings changed! Why?
Our calendar is a "living" document that may be changed at any time for a variety of reasons. However, as soon as anyone signs up for a painting, it is "locked in" and will not change. So don't worry that you will be signing up for a painting and have it changed after you've signed up. So if you like a painting...sign up for it! There are a few reasons we might change a painting on a night no one has signed up:
- It doesn't appear we will be having any registrations for that painting
- Someone asked us to change the painting, and no one had signed up yet for that night
- No one had signed up for that night and we had an opportunity to hold a private event or make other plans
Do you have a minimum number of people required to hold a class?
Two people is the minimum for an adult class, and one child (accompanied by an adult) is the minimum for an "all ages" painting. On the rare occasion that only one person has registered for an adult painting, we will call him or her by 2:00 p.m. that day to reschedule. (There's one sure way to be sure your painting won't be canceled...get a friend to sign up too!)
Is Yes You Canvas! a franchise? Where do your paintings come from?
The Yes You Canvas! studio in Jacksonville is an individually owned and operated business started in 2009 by David Durrett, who also creates every painting offered in all three studios. We have a studio in Orlando that is also privately owned, and one in Oviedo that is a privately-owned franchise. The owners of the Jacksonville and Orlando studios also own the corporation that awards franchises; for information please contact email@example.com
Can two people (like a couple) paint one painting? Why would we want two of the same thing?
- Everyone who is present must be registered for his or her own seat and paints his or her own canvas.
- There are many reasons why two people who live together would each do the same painting. One may work outside the home and hang one of the paintings there; one may give his or her painting as a gift; two paintings hung alongside offer a fun and interesting opportunity to compare styles and personalities; the two paintings might have different colors or composition changes; and the shared experience of painting the same subject adds an element of fun and self-discovery as well.
- Occasionally we may offer a "couples night" where two people paint two paintings that "fit" together when hung alongside each other. However, we consider every night "date night" and prefer not to exclude customers who choose to paint on their own or with friends for whom such a painting is not appropriate. In essence such a concept becomes "married couples night," and the reasons listed above have proven to be relevant to those who have painted with us.
- There are some paintings, such as landscapes, that two people can easily paint separately but plan to hang together by making sure their horizons and other elements match up.
Why are your gift certificate amounts more than your event costs?
We have predetermined several gift certificate amounts that will allow you to make sure your recipient can attend one or more events without having to pay the sales tax on them. These amounts in effect allow you to pay the tax for them, but sales tax is not charged on your actual gift certificate purchase. In other words, if you buy a $37.45 gift certificate, you only will be charged $37.45. But when your recipient registers for an event that costs $35, the final cost in the shopping cart is $35 plus 7 percent sales tax, or $37.45 total. When he or she uses your gift certificate to pay for the event, the entire cost will be covered by the gift certificate and he or she will not have to pay for the required $2.45 sales tax. If your recipient received a gift certificate for $35, which is the cost of an event, he or she would have to pay the tax because it would be the remaining amount after redeeming the gift certificate code. Of course, if you prefer not to use one of our specified amounts, you may type in one of your own for any amount from $10 to $2,000.
Why am I charged sales tax?
The State of Florida requires that a business collects sales tax for services that utilize that business's resources or result in a customer taking away a product. For this reason, we are required to charge sales tax on the entire cost of an event, not just the materials used.
What about children's parties?
We welcome children’s parties! Here are the details:
- Parties may be held on weekend afternoons or after school.
- Each birthday is scheduled for two hours, which includes approximately one hour of painting followed by time spent eating and present-opening. You are welcome to arrive up to thirty minutes before the party starts to set up your eating area.
- You may bring cake and any food and drink you would like, as well as utensils, plates, and paper goods. We only provide the painting supplies as well as table covering for the eating and present tables.
- We provide a 11” x 14” canvas for each artist. You may choose any of our children's subjects (all children paint the same subject).
- A minimum of two responsible adults is required to be present, or more according to the following formula: for age 5, one for every 5 children; for age 10, one for every 10 children, and so on.
- The cost is $20 per child (or adult painter), with a ten-artist minimum. There is also a flat $50 fee for the studio time and cleanup required for the additional party time.
- That minimum cost of $250 is due by phone when booking the party. Any additional amount ($20 for each artist after the initial ten) is due at the party itself. (The maximum is 30 artists.)
- Parents or adults may participate and are part of the seat count. There is no charge for adults who do not paint.
- Call David at 904-993-9047 to make arrangements.
What about private parties and teambuilding?
We welcome all groups for private event parties and teambuilding. Here are the details:
- Events may be held any evening if there is no class previously scheduled or if that class does not yet have any registrants.
- Daytime parties also may be scheduled.
- Your private party may include social time at the studio before painting begins. We will work with you to select a painting that fits your overall timeframe.
- You may bring any food and drink you would like, as well as utensils, plates, and paper goods. We only provide the painting supplies.
- The $35 per person cost applies, with a minimum of 10 people (or $350). (There also are smaller and shorter $25 options available.) Additional studio time and cleanup is included. The maximum is 40 seats. (Many groups with fewer than 10 people have booked seats at a regular class.)
- The minimum cost is due when the reservation is made, and the balance (if applicable) is due at the event.
- The requirements that everyone must be at least 16 and actively painting in an adult class apply to private groups as well. No one under 16 may be present and no one may "stop by" or "audit" the class, as this impacts both the experience of the participants and the ability of the instructor to properly facilitate the event. If one wishes to have children present, an "all ages" painting must be selected as the subject for the group.
- Call David at 904-993-9047 to make arrangements.
What about groups?
Reservations may be made by one individual for as many seats as are remaining in any event, but payment is made for all seats at that time. You also can request a private party (see that question, below)
Are there age requirements?
Yes. To paint in an adult class one MUST be 16. In addition, a 16- or 17-year-old must have an adult present who also is registered to paint, as no minors may be in the studio unaccompanied, and everyone in an adult class must be registered to paint. (You must be at least 21 years of age or older to bring or consume alcoholic beverages.) We recommend that artists be at least five to paint an "all ages" painting, however in these classes adults (who are required to stay with their kids) do not have to be registered to paint, although many often do and enjoy the experience of painting alongside their children.
What size is the canvas?
For adult classes, we use 16” x 20” stretched canvases. "All ages" paintings and some adult paintings—always noted in the class description—are on 11" x 14" stretched canvases. The staples are in the back, not on the sides, and we never use canvas boards.
When do you post a new monthly calendar?
New adult paintings and class schedules are usually posted by the last week of month that is three months prior. (So, March adult classes are posted at the end of December.) "All ages" classes are usually posted in middle of the month that is two months prior. (So, March "all ages" classes are posted in the middle of January.)
When are your classes held?
We have 7:00 classes Monday through Saturday nights, with rare exceptions. "All ages" classes are held Saturday mornings at 11:00 and on school holidays. Check our calendar for schedule and availability.
How can I cancel/change a class if I am within your cancellation policy?
1) Sign into your on-line account and click on “My Classes”
2) Find the class you are canceling and click "Change”
3) Click on the box in front of the registered name.
4) Click on the appropriated choice
When you finish, your account will show an account credit. Refunds are given only as class credit. For your next purchase, the shopping cart will NOT automatically apply the credit and deduct the cost of your purchase from your account credit before it charges your credit card. YOU MUST CLICK ON THE BUTTON IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PAGE “APPLY ACCOUNT CREDIT”.
Can I register by phone?
We can register you by phone, but the process is the same as if you do it yourself online, which we encourage. All we do if you call is use our computer as though we were you when we have you on the phone.
Do you offer gift certificates?
Yes! Gift Certificates to Yes You Canvas! are exceptionally unique and thoughtful gifts for any occasion. You may purchase them online and print them out with a unique code your recipient types in when making a reservation. You can buy them for a single $35 class or any other dollar amount. They never expire!
Is my information safe?
Completely. Online payment is secure, fast, easy and will guarantee that your registration is processed immediately. We use state-of-the-art 128-bit SSL encryption so you can have a worry-free transaction. Your personal and payment information is completely safe and housed on secure servers maintained by The PayPal Pro merchant services division, one of the leading worldwide providers of online payment transactions. In addition, your reservation is processed through RezClick, a Florida-based company that manages reservation systems for more than 300 schools across America. Furthermore, we will not offer your information to any third parties; we will only use your email address to send you reminders, promotions, and news about Yes You Canvas!
What payment forms do you accept?
Our online system allows us to accept Visa, Master Card, American Express, and Discover. Remember that in addition to credit cards, you can use any debit card that functions as a credit card when you make purchases online.
Why do I have to pay when I reserve my seat?
The process of registering for a Yes You Canvas! event is like buying theater or sporting event tickets online: you decide when you want to go, select the date, and pay for the tickets online at that time. But with Yes You Canvas! registration, you have until a week before your event to change or cancel your reservation with no penalty, unlike other event tickets that you can’t change after you make your purchase.
Why do I have to create an account?
Your account allows us to keep track of your reservations so we know when you’re coming. It also helps us keep you informed with reminders about your reservation, special promotions, and new calendar postings.
How do I sign up for an event?
Go to our calendar page and click on the image of the painting you would like to paint, on the date and at the time you want to paint it. You will be taken to an online shopping cart where you will complete your reservation. (If it's your first time to our site, you will need to set up an account with a password like on other Web sites.)
Note that the calendar will show how many seats are available for that event...if there are no seats available, there will be an option to sign up for the Waiting List for that event, and you will be notified by email if seats become available so you can come back and sign up for it. The number of seats available for an event is always fluctuating as people sign up, and the calendar is updated in real-time. (If you register for a Waiting List, your credit card is not charged...that only happens if you come back and sign up after we've notified you of availability.)
Can we bring wine?
Yes, if you like! In fact, wine is a popular part of the “painting event” culture…we don’t serve, but we provide cups and openers. Of course, you have to be 21 to consume any alcoholic beverage on our premises (or any other!). (We do ask that you not bring anything stronger than wine or beer.)
What if I can't paint? What if I am not artistic?
Painting is a series of decisions you make with paint and a brush. There is no “right” or “wrong” way for your painting to turn out. The lead artist will guide the group through basic strokes, knowing that most of you are new to the experience of painting on canvas. There are some common mistakes people make that we will be careful to be sure you avoid. The key is being 'loose' and not focusing on too much detail. In fact, the freer your attitude, the more 'detail' people will see in your art!
What happens at a class?
Everyone arrives and finds a seat at his or her own easel. (You may choose to first don a smock or apron.) You'll receive your brushes, canvas, and paint palette. Then the lead artist will take you step-by-step through every stroke...and you leave with your own painting!