Frequently Asked Questions
My friend paid less than I did for the same class...why?
Please remember that every seat we offer has been discounted at one time, when it was first posted on our calendar, so there was always an opportunity for those who have access to our offers to reserve it at a lesser cost. Our discounts are posted on our Facebook page and emailed to everyone on our mailing list, and as such they are a reward for people who have previously taken a class or become involved in another way. If discounts encourage you to register, please keep your eye on our emails and Facebook postings and sign up when a class is first posted; there is always a chance to receive a discount before you pay full price.
If you are new to Yes You Canvas! and signed up for a class while it was offered at full price, and then see it discounted as part of a subsequent promotion, please see that as your opportunity to sign up for future classes at a discount, just as those who previously painted with us were able to register for your class at a discount when it was first posted. To try to be fair, we never offer "last minute" discounts; even though these are standard in all kinds of reservation processes, from cruises to concerts, we don't want to penalize you for signing up at full price, only to see others register at a discount afterward. For this reason, all discounts are always applicable to any future class, whether it is three hours from now or three months from now.
We do offer other promotional discounts on occasion with Living Social or Groupon.
Can I paint something other than what everyone else is painting?
This one is tricky; it's only come up a couple of times, but it's something we need to address, and the short answer is "no." Everyone is encouraged to be as original as you like...different colors, different composition, different design elements...whatever you want to do to express your own originality. In fact, we pride ourselves on being the most progressive paint-along studio in that respect.
But...everyone has to follow along so that we're progressing as a group. For example, if you want to paint a landscape while we're all painting a wine bottle, something happens that affects the experience for everyone else. This is especially true if more than one person ignores the instruction. It's happened a couple of times, and it's been a tough lesson: you'll have side conversations that distract the group; you'll finish early and get stuck waiting for your ride to finish; you'll get frustrated that the instructor can't work with you; and you're likely to begin regretting that you didn't join the rest of us. There is also, frankly, an increased risk that alienation—from friends and from the rest of the group—will lead to irresponsible alcohol consumption. Even if you promise to keep to yourself, your friends will be awkward and feel obliged to humor you by directing their attention your way.
This mainly happens when someone invites a group to paint but doesn't explain to their guests what Yes You Canvas! is all about. Please be sure your guests are willing participants and realize the evening celebrates originality but requires the group to interact together toward the common goal. We've only had this problem a couple of times, but now we're having to formalize the requirement that you participate in the spirit of the concept and not separate yourself from our shared experience. It's not about stifling you, it's about respecting the experience of everyone else in the studio. Remember: we're not talking about making your painting look distinct and original—this is only about painting a completely different subject that has no relation whatsoever with the step-by-step process we're all following.
Can I just "walk in"?
Walk-in registrants are welcome, but we strongly prefer that you register online beforehand. It saves a lot of time when we are able to just "take roll" rather than engage in transactions before the class. In addition, if you don't sign up, you are running a few risks:
- The painting may have been changed since the last time you looked at the calendar
- We may be full
- The class may have been canceled because we had only one registrant (or none) by 2:00 that day
We strongly recommend that if you plan to "walk in" that you call 407.542.8969 so we can confirm the event with you and be sure there's a place set up for you.
I went back to your calendar and the paintings changed! Why?
Our calendar is a "living" document that may be changed at any time for a variety of reasons. One thing is certain...as soon as anyone signs up for a painting, it is "locked in" and will not change. So don't worry that you will be signing up for a painting and have it changed after you've signed up. So if you like a painting...sign up for it! There are a few reasons we might change a painting on a night no one has signed up:
- It doesn't appear we will be having any registrations for that painting
- Someone asked us to change the painting, and no one had signed up yet for that night
- No one had signed up for that night and we had an opportunity to hold a private event or make other plans
Do you have a minimum number of people required to hold a class?
Two people is our minimum. If only one person has signed up for a night's painting, we will call him or her by 2:00 p.m. to reschedule. Fortunately that's only happened a few times in our first months of operation. The best way to ensure a class will be held is to sign up for it; if you plan to "walk in," you may find that the class has been canceled or changed, either because of a lack of registrants or because another opportunity arose. Remember, as soon as someone signs up for a painting, it is "locked in" on our calendar. (There's one sure way to be sure your painting won't be canceled...get a friend to sign up too!)
Can two people (like a couple) paint one painting? Why would we want two of the same thing?
- We can't accommodate two people painting the same canvas as it takes a seat away from another customer. If you absolutely want to paint something together, you will need to sign up for two seats as though you were painting separately. Please call Karen at 407-542-8969 before you plan to choose this option.
- We do all paint the same subject because it’s a step-by-step process where everyone paints along with me. However, I strongly encourage people to change composition and color to personalize their art however they like. (You can see from the photos I post on the Facebook fan page how much variation we have.)
- I’ve had many couples come paint together, and they’ve either changed their colors so that the paintings could complement each other hanging together (the flowers particularly); one of the two is painted as a gift; or, more typically, one painting goes to one person’s office and the other hangs in the home.
- We're about individual expression, not just producing paintings. The couples who have painted together have a great time learning more about each other, and they end up enjoying the experience of painting their own paintings as much as having the finished products. We've had to nudge a few in that direction, and they’ve all been glad we did.
Why are your gift certificate amounts more than your event costs?
We have predetermined several gift certificate amounts that will allow you to make sure your recipient can attend one or more events without having to pay the sales tax on them. These amounts in effect allow you to pay the tax for them, but sales tax is not charged on your actual gift certificate purchase. In other words, if you buy a $37.45 gift certificate, you only will be charged $37.45. But when your recipient registers for an event that costs $35, the final cost in the shopping cart is $35 plus 7 percent sales tax, or $37.45 total. When he or she uses your gift certificate to pay for the event, the entire cost will be covered by the gift certificate and he or she will not have to pay for the required $2.45 sales tax. If your recipient received a gift certificate for $35, which is the cost of an event, he or she would have to pay the tax because it would be the remaining amount after redeeming the gift certificate code. Of course, if you prefer not to use one of our specified amounts, you may type in one of your own for any amount from $10 to $2,000.
Why am I charged sales tax?
The State of Florida requires that a business collects sales tax for services that utilize that business's resources or result in a customer taking away a product. For this reason, we are required to charge sales tax on the entire cost of an event, not just the materials used.
What about children's parties?
We welcome children’s parties! Here are the details:
- Parties may be held on weekend afternoons or after school.
- Each birthday is scheduled for two hours, which includes one hour of eating and present-opening followed by a one-hour painting. You are welcome to arrive thirty minutes before the party starts to set up your eating area.
- You may bring cake and any food and drink you would like, as well as utensils, plates, and paper goods. We only provide the painting supplies.
- We provide a 11” x 14” canvas for each artist. You may choose any of our children's subjects (all children paint the same subject).
- A minimum of two responsible adults is required to be present, or more according to the following formula: for age 5, one for every 5 children; for age 10, one for every 10 children, and so on.
- The cost is $20 per child (or adult painter), with a ten-person minimum. There is also a flat $50 fee for the studio time and cleanup required for the additional party hour. The maximum is 40 seats.
- Parents or adults may participate and are part of the seat count. There is no charge for adults who do not paint.
- The minimum cost is due when the reservation is made, and the final head count and balance (if applicable) are due at the end of the event.
- Call Karen at 407 542 8969 to make arrangements.
What about private parties and teambuilding?
We welcome all groups for private event parties and teambuilding. Here are the details:
- Events may be held any evening if there is no class previously scheduled or if that class does not yet have any registrants.
- Daytime parties also may be scheduled.
- Your private party may include social time at the studio before painting begins. We will work with you to select a painting that fits your overall timeframe.
- You may bring any food and drink you would like, as well as utensils, plates, and paper goods. We only provide the painting supplies.
- The $35 per person cost applies, with a minimum of 10 people (or $350). Additional studio time and cleanup is included. The maximum is 36 seats. (Many groups with fewer than 15 people have booked seats at a regular class.)
- The minimum cost is due when the reservation is made, and the final head count and balance (if applicable) are due at the end of the event.
- Call 407.542.8969 to make arrangements.
What about groups?
Reservations may be made by one individual for as many seats as are remaining in any event, but payment is made for all seats at that time. You also can request a private party (see that question, below)
Are there age requirements?
Just as classroom activities and teaching styles are tailored to be age-appropriate, our paintings are designed to be fun projects for individuals ages 18 and up, and the after-hours atmosphere of our evening classes is most appropriate for participants at least of that age. Teens with a mature attitude are not expressly discouraged from attending, but anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a registered adult. (You must be at least 21 years of age or older to bring or consume alcoholic beverages.) Participation by children ages 12 and under is most successful when the entire group is of the same age, as in a classroom, and private children's parties with age-appropriate subject matter and pacing are an excellent option for pre-teens.
What size is the canvas?
We use 16"x20" stretched canvases, never canvas boards. You may choose to paint the sides and hang it without purchasing a frame, or leave the sides unpainted and frame it.
At what time should I arrive for my event?
Please arrive within 10 minutes of the scheduled start time. If you haven't pre-registered, please arrive 20 minutes early, and be sure to call 407-542-8969 before you arrive to check on seat availability.
When are your classes held?
We have 7:00 classes Monday through Saturday nights, with some exceptions. Sometimes we also offer Sunday afternoon paintings. Kids' classes are held Saturday mornings at 11:00 and require pre-registration. Check our calendar for schedule and availability.
Can I register by phone?
You are welcome to check for availability by calling us at 407-542-8969, but reservations may only be made online or by visiting our location. You also may come in 30 minutes before any event to take an available seat, but you risk encountering a full, canceled, or changed class if you don't call first. The number of available seats for any event is always updated in real-time as participants register for it.
What if someone I know doesn't have Internet?
You are welcome to register online for yourself and anyone else, or we do accept onsite payment for unreserved seats 15 minutes before each class on a first-come, first-served basis. On days we are holding a 7 p.m. class, you also may come to our location between 6:30 and 7:00 to register and pay for any upcoming class, not just the one we are about to start. Call 407.542.8969 for more information and to confirm our
Do you offer gift certificates?
Yes! Gift Certificates to Yes You Canvas! are exceptionally unique and thoughtful gifts for any occasion. You may purchase them online and print them out with a unique code your recipient types in when making a reservation. You can buy them for a single $35 class or any other dollar amount. They never expire!
Is my information safe?
Completely. Online payment is secure, fast, easy and will guarantee that your registration is processed immediately. We use state-of-the-art 128-bit SSL encryption so you can have a worry-free transaction. Your personal and payment information is completely safe and housed on secure servers maintained by The PayPal Pro merchant services division, one of the leading worldwide providers of online payment transactions. In addition, your reservation is processed through RezClick, a Florida-based company that manages reservation systems for more than 300 schools across America. Furthermore, we will not offer your information to any third parties; we will only use your email address to send you reminders, promotions, and news about Yes You Canvas!
What payment forms do you accept?
Our online system allows us to accept Visa, Master Card, American Express, Discover and PayPal. Remember that in addition to credit cards, you can use any debit card that functions as a credit card when you make purchases online.
Why do I have to pay when I reserve my seat?
The process of registering for a Yes You Canvas! event is like buying theater or sporting event tickets online: you decide when you want to go, select the date, and pay for the tickets online at that time. But with Yes You Canvas! registration, you have until a week before your event to change or cancel your reservation with no penalty, unlike other event tickets that you can’t change after you make your purchase.
Why do I have to create an account?
Your account allows us to keep track of your reservations so we know when you’re coming. It also helps us keep you informed with reminders about your reservation, special promotions, and new calendar postings.
How do I sign up for an event?
Go to our calendar page and click on the image of the painting you would like to paint, on the date and at the time you want to paint it. You will be taken to an online shopping cart where you will complete your reservation. (If it's your first time to our site, you will need to set up an account with a password like on other Web sites.)
Note that the calendar will show how many seats are available for that event...if there are no seats available, there will be an option to sign up for the Waiting List for that event, and you will be notified by email if seats become available so you can come back and sign up for it. The number of seats available for an event is always fluctuating as people sign up, and the calendar is updated in real-time. (If you register for a Waiting List, your credit card is not charged...that only happens if you come back and sign up after we've notified you of availability.)
Can we bring wine?
You can bring any beverage or food you like! In fact, wine is a popular part of the “painting event” culture…we don’t serve, but we provide cups and openers. Of course, you have to be 21 to consume any alcoholic beverage on our premises (or any other!).
What if I am already pretty good with a brush?
Some people come to “painting events” just because of the easy access to canvas and supplies. You are welcome to go off in any creative direction you like…change colors, or composition…it’s your painting!
What if I can't paint? What if I am not artistic?
Painting is a series of decisions you make with paint and a brush. There is no “right” or “wrong” way for your painting to turn out. The lead artist will guide the group through basic strokes, knowing that most of you are new to the experience of painting on canvas. There are some common mistakes people make that we will be careful to be sure you avoid. The key is being 'loose' and not focusing on too much detail. In fact, the freer your attitude, the more 'detail' people will see in your art!
What happens at a class?
Everyone arrives and finds a seat at his or her own easel. (You may choose to first don a smock or apron.) You'll receive your brushes, canvas, and paint palette. Then the lead artist will take you step-by-step through every stroke...and you leave with your own painting!
How can I cancel/change a class if I am within your cancellation policy?
1) Sign into your on-line account and click on “My Classes”
2) Find the class you are canceling and click "Change”
3) Click on the box in front of the registered name.
4) Click on the appropriated choice
When you finish, your account will show an account credit. Refunds are given only as class credit. For your next purchase, the shopping cart will NOT automatically apply the credit and deduct the cost of your purchase from your account credit before it charges your credit card. YOU MUST CLICK ON THE BUTTON IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PAGE “APPLY ACCOUNT CREDIT”.
Is it safe to use my credit card on-line ?
Online payment via credit card is secure, fast, easy and will guarantee that your registration is processed immediately.
We are using a certtiifcate : 128-bit SSL encryption.